[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale/Bopp Obser Feb 21 ZAYGE

With another clear morning from La Mesa, Calif...but with an LM around 4.6,
Hale/Bopp still looked like that bridalveil. It is definitely getting
brighter...I give it a magnitude of +1.1 compared to Deneb at +1.3.  The tail
thru my 14X100's appear as 2.8 degrees long...no doubt hindered by the low
LM.  I heard a report from Venezuela that the comet may have split...I did
not see anything to indicate this...but with a 14X100 I probably won't be one
of the first to confirm such a thing. But the bright jet to the south is
still there and it is still the only jet I can make out...both visually and
photographically. My coma photographs with the 4" from Feb 19 does not show
any hint either. I made a 1, 5 and 10 second exposures, but they still show
only the southern jet and no hints of splitting. Maybe bigger scopes can see
something?
George Zay