[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) We are having fun now...

<< them, I see observations I made cropping up in the AAVSO
 Monograph series.  The pleasure of using my time under the stars to
 contribute to the body of knowledge is the name of the game, not instant
 gratification.

--------------------
Yes...contributing to the body of knowledge is the name of the game....but if
you don't get any feedback the drive will diminish...the contributions will
diminish...Unless AMS has made some dramatic comeback in the last 3 years in
data gathering (beyond a few of the long time hard core regulars that's on
this list), this might be a direct result of it's failure as a respected
meteor organization in modern times.  I don't deny that I have no respect for
the AMS.  And I acquired this feeling from direct contact with Dr. Meisel.  I
approached him with serious intent and got the door slammed in my face. It
became real apparent that AMS wasn't interested in the serious meteor
observer, but rather in radio meteor work...an apparent personal interest of
his. I had asked for help and the loan of some camera equipment that I was
told AMS had on hand. This was denied and the camera equipment to the best of
my knowledge is still gathering dust. After that encounter and without the
feedback, I would wonder if I'm contributing to something or someone that
doesn't take my efforts seriously....and to date, this is the impression I
would be getting from AMS.  I don't know how many times I've been told by AMS
people in a variety of ways that AMS is geared for the very beginner and in
the process the information provided is dummied up. How can anyone really get
to the serious level if the administrators don't appear serious...only going
thru the motions and keep bringing up the deserved past glory of Dr Olivier?
What has AMS been doing for the serious visual observer since the passing of
Olivier?  Just having a couple very active observers of past years still
intact to the present isn't what I would call progress.
George Zay