[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) r values

Sirko writes:

>Unfortunately, r is varies for different showers and is not even constant
>for a single meteor shower. Quite often you find a minimum of r-values
>near the maximum of a shower. That is, at the maximum time you have an
>excess of bright meteors. This is why it is neccessary to determine the
>actual r value for the meteor shower at the given time you want to
>investigate it.

Aha, I'm learning more all the time.  The r-value method I'm familiar with
is where the r-value is adjusted using the limiting magnitude:

r-corrected = r^6.5-lm

Starting from pre-determined r-values for each shower.

See Neil Bone's book "Meteors", page 82.

If I'm understanding you, IMO calculates an new r for each observer, for
each individual observing session.  I'm just shooting from the hip here, but
doesn't this make it difficult to compare results year to year, and observer
to observer?  And wouldn't it tend to obscure changes in the stream
structure and membership over time?

Thanks for your contributions to the discussion, Sirko.

Jim Bedient