[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) We are having fun now...

Mark,

At 12:04 PM 2/21/97 -0500, you wrote:

>But I
>would also ask:
>
>- Does there HAVE to be money for the professional just to lend a little
>assistance? Or answer an amateur's question regarding a difficult
>mathematical concept? Unfortunately, in the U.S., the answer seems to be yes
>if you're a visual observer!

I sincerely do not know where this is coming from, Mark.  In my own personal
experieice I have found Dr. Meisel to be one of the most generous and
willing teachers I have ever been associated with.  I have learned more
math, physics, and statistics from him than any of my regular professors.  I
have watched him drop everything to help students coming by his office, at
length,  without regard to scheduled office hours and appointments, which is
something I cannot say about some of my own professors.

Even before we knew each other very well, he was always happy to answer
questions, including questions about visual work, which I was doing at the time.

Correspondence by mail or E-mail is a little more difficult, because he has
large numbers of letters to filter  through, but Jim B and I are developing
ways to help out and lighten his load a little.

I honestly think that the two of you probably got off on the wrong foot, and
have never recovered.  What you are expressing is certainly not typical of
the Dr. Meisel I know as both mentor and friend.

Take care,

Jim Richardson
AMS Radiometeor Project Coordinator
Graceville, FL