[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hale/Bopp Obser 2/15/97

<< Ron,
 >I also see the two tails...but one jet.
 >George Zay

 Geo

 What is the difference between a tail and a jet?   I guess I have been using
 the two words interchangeably.

 Ron

Ron,
I don't know what the official definitions are, but I see a single jet of gas
streaming from the south side of the nucleus..dot it curves around the south
side and makes up the southerly tail that I see. But I do not see any jets
coming off from the nucleus on the North side...just a small ball like coma
surrounding the nucleus where the tail evolves from a diffuse region of the
coma...not the nucleus.  I consider a jet to be the material that is actually
streaming away from the nucleus as an apparent stream.
George Zay