[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd for Kris Larsen: help - I need info

<< >Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:09:03 -0500 (EST)
 >From: GUESS WHO <LARSEN@CCSUA.CTSTATEUdot edu>
 >To: meteorobs@latrade.com
 >Subject: help - I need info
 >
 >I'm writing an article for Mercury on astronomy outreach partnership
 >programs which put amateur and professional astronomers into the classroom
 >(like project astro and a bunch of others). I need your personal
experiences
 >as well as your answers to some questions. You can send your respoinses
 >straight to my email (larsen@ccsu.ctstateudot edu) so we don't clog up the
 >bulletin board here (*unless the general membership is intersted in such
 >stuff). I thank you all in advance: he are the questions:

Kris...I don't mind if it's on the list or not....

 >1) What is the extend of your involvemebt in such programs (for example do
 >you visit a few classrooms on your own every year or are you part of an
 >organized program with the school?)

Kris..dot since 1989 thru 1994 I've visited my daughters elementary school on a
regular basis and showed my telescope to probably every class that came thru
in all grades. I usually answer the students questions and afterwards I set
up my 10" telescope with it's solar filter and let each student look at
sunspots. Quite often I get a big question and answer session right there on
the spot. This works quiet well. Normally it's the teachers that has to end
the session. The students were normally great and enthusiastic.  My two
daughters are now out of elementary school, but on occasions I still get
invited back to their school to do the same with other students and sometimes
I'm asked by other elementary schools. I am not part of any organized
program...I do this on my own. In 1994 I established an Astronomy Science
Club at my daughters Junior High school. This only lasted one year. Interest
was quiet low. I would show them various videos and drill them on the
constellations...I made games out of this. A student recognizes a certain
constellation on a flash card and I usually toss a small candy treat at them.
On a couple occasions I had the astronomy club come out to my observatory
chaperoned by at least one teacher. We would look thru the 10" at various
deep sky objects and at that time a comet that was active.  I also bought
various astronomy videos such as National Geographics Solar System and a few
others for the schools to add to their teaching libraries.

Another thing that I did for a year last year for an elementary school near
Sacramento, California...I was hooked up to a schools computer in class. I
offered to answer their astronomy questions that they email me direct from
their class room. The students had an opportunity to ask their astronomy
questions and at the same time have fun doing it on a computer. This worked
quiet well...but I understand the school was trying it as a test...but
funding to keep the computer online in the classroom was in question. It's
not in progress anymore...but the teacher has informed me that they have me
on their list if the funding should come up.

 >2( HWat/ What do you see as the benefits and drawbacks of such programs.

The benefits for those who got a chance to look thru a telescope for the
first time may be something I will never know not knowing any of the
childrens future course in life.  I'd like to think that there might be a few
that I have planted the seed of interest over a long course.  The drawbacks
was mainly trying to fit my visits into the teachers curriculum...quiet often
astronomy has only a small amount of allotted time to be addressed and timing
was difficult. The other draw back was not being able to have the children
look at objects at night. The location can be dangerous after dark...both for
me and the children. Everything just about everything had to be done during
the day.

One of the drawbacks I've noticed with the Astronomy Science Club was that
unless I wasn't constantly trying to entertain them, the participation
dwindles. It seems the kids had a need to be out with the telescope quiet
often. Also when I did have them out there at the observatory, they often
became empatient and just wanted to goof off. It was difficult to tolerate
this while trying to be serious at the same time. You definitely needed more
than one teacher on hand...which was very difficult to get.

 >3) How do teachers integrate such visitations into their lesson plans?

Usually I show up just after the topics of astronomy has been
introduced...probably a good idea since the kids already have some idea of
what's it all about before I make my entrance and don't feel like total
dummies.

 >4) How have you seen such programs evolve over time? And how long have
 >you been doing this yourself?

No...the programs died when I'm no longer present.  The schools seems to
consider astronomy as not a very important subject. The interest seems
genuine when I'm there...but when you try to plan this out over the long
run..dot it becomes a chore for the school.

 >5) If you have done such a visit lately, can you give me some feedback
 >from the kids?

My last school visit was about 6 months ago..dot it was a 5th grade class. the
kids were great and quiet intelligent. I had a book of deep sky photographs
that I made with my telescope and they asked if they can keep it for a week
so they can go thru it in more detail. To which I gave permission. The class
was considered an advanced class of more "gifted" children and it showed.

 >And finally, if anyone can point me y towards the following o/ information:
 >
 >- are there any statistacs as to how many astronomers actually are involved
 >in such programs?

I don't have a clue.

 >- are there any studies which have evaluated the effectiveness of such
programs?

I don't know?

 >- does anyone know of a good comprehensive list of such programs across the
 >country?

Sorry I don't know again.

 >Again thanks and please ignore the typos
 >
 >Kris Larsen

 I hope this will help you for what you need it for?
George Zay