[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Little Stuff

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> I apologize for leaving the ALPO out of this particular discussion,
they are
> indeed a presence in US meteor activity, but I don't know a great deal
about
> what they're up to.

Jim,

Let me enlighten you and any others who may be interested.

I joined ALPO in the mid 80's as a planetary observer. The Meteors
Section was in sad shape so I kept most of my correspondence with the
AMS. Unfortunately I was also becoming dissatisfied with the AMS. I
faithfully kept sending in my data and what I received in return was 4
issues (sometimes 3) of Meteor News per year and an annual report which
was published ridiculously late year after year. Correspondence with
veteran observers such as Mike Morrow and Norman Mcleod kept me going
and enthused. When the IMO was formed in 1988 I eagerly joined and was
hopeful that the AMS would cooperate with them and share their data with
the IMO's visual database. Mr. Meisel was against this idea and
unfortunately some bad blood developed between the two groups and some
rather regrettable statements were said.

A vacancy occurred in 1989 for the Meteor Section Recorder of ALPO. I
volunteered and was granted the position. It was my goal to create an
interactive group and to make use of every possible meteor observation.
All data was to be published in the ALPO Journal and also converted to
IMO format for use in the IMO's visual database. I was determined to
communicate with the ALPO contributors and to let them know their work
was appreciated. I cannot tell you how many hundreds of letters and
phone calls I made trying to establish an active meteor group.  At the
urging of Mark Davis I began to publish an ALPO Meteors Section
Newsletter on a quarterly basis to supplement the ALPO Journal. An
annual review is also published and delivered by April detailing the
previous years activity. Perhaps it is not scientifically important, but
every observation contributed to us is now published in the annual
review. Not only is it interesting to compare your counts to everyone
else, but I feel it is important to see ones name in print, especially
to those youngsters (like I used to be) who get excited by such things.
Membership in ALPO is not cheap ($16 annually) but that is out of my
control. One does not need to be a member of ALPO to contribute data and
to receive our newsletter and annual review which are available free of
charge.

It was widely circulated during the 80's the meteor work in the US was
at a low ebb. Well, guess who now leads the world in contributions to
the IMO database and has done so for the last 3 years. I certainly
cannot take all of the credit but I can tell you that I have spent more
time writing the past 8 years than out observing.

We are currently made up of approximately 50 observers who keep in touch
through the postal mail and over the phone. Those with computers have
been urged to also join NAMN. So, we have been a busy little group
working in the shadows of the IMO and the AMS. It has been this way
since I took over and will probably be so for a long time to come. Now
with the emergence of NAMN, they are attracting more of the spotlight,
and rightly so. The NAMN authorities have lightened my load and have
provided instant information and the chance to discuss a wide range of
topics with some of the most experienced people in meteor astronomy.
They fill a very important void with instant communication, information,
and yes, education.

We will continue to work in the shadows providing a service to those
observers not on line and those who seek guidance. I appreciate those
who have joined NAMN and the IMO and continue to support the Meteors
Section. And Jim, I appreciate that you continue to share your data with
the Meteors Section and the fact you don't charge me a copy fee as
mandated by Mr. Meisel. I assure you that I will continue to forward
your data and others of Meteor Team Hawaii to the IMO unless requested
to cease.

I appreciate the early guidance the AMS provided me. However I resent
the fact that in all the years I belonged to the AMS and all the
hundreds of reports I submitted that no one took the time to say thanks.
That will never happen in the ALPO Meteors Section. Because of this
situation my path in life has changed and has brought me to where I am
today. Its a shame that US meteor observers are fragmented but I guess
this is human nature. This has happened to many prominent meteor groups,
most notably in Britain and in the Netherlands. The AMS should be the
the only meteor group in America especially since they are the best
known and receive a majority of the press. Unfortunately circumstances
have prevented this and we remain fragmented and will so for the
foreseeable future.

Our goals are similar: to provide information and guidance at the
cheapest price possible. We just have a different method of achieving
that goal.

Bob Lunsford

Meteors Section Coordinator

Association of Lunar & Planetary Observers