[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) The Sun

At 08:41 PM 2/22/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Ron,
>What mylar solar filters do you have on your binocs?
>And you are right, we are trained professionals, don't try this at home.
>
>Becky

Hi Becky

The mylar filters I use were manufactured by Celestron and are probably
available at their dealerships.   If not, I am certain that companies like
Orion have them.   They are a double sheet of mylar film that has been
treated to be virtually opaque but when viewing the Sun it shows through as
a remakably sharp, but dull, sphere.   The first time you  try them it is an
interesting experience because until you find the Sun they seem completely
opaque and impossible to see through.   The Sun takes on an eerie
appearance, something like the Moon with a completely smooth craterless
surface.   During a period of sunspot activity they stand out very clearly
as black patches.

I hope this helps.

Ron