[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale/Bopp Obser Feb 23 ZAYGE

Feb 23

I knew this morning I had clear skies because the moon looked like a cars
headlight. Anyhow, I was able to see hale/bopp unobstructed by clouds or
objects. With a sky LM of near 4.0, I can only make out the tail length to be
about 1.8 degrees...no doubt due to the moon. I compared the comets magnitude
to both Deneb (+1.3) and Altair(+0.8). The comet is definitely not as bright
as Altair yet...but brighter than Deneb. After repeated comparisons, I've
concluded that Hale/Bopps magnitude to be at around +1.0. compared to Deneb.
 I wanted to say it was +0.9, but when I compared it to Altair, I concluded
that it was more closer to +1.0....so I'm sticking with +1.0 this morning. I
still see only one jet in the south east portion of the comet. I cannot
perceive any indications of splitting either.
George Zay