[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-Bopp!!!!!!!!!!!

Folks,

I finally glimpsed Hale-Bopp!  I would rate it's magnitude at 1.1-1.4.
  I saw the jets, but no nucleus splitting. Naked eye, the comet
looks fuzzy, and has a 15'-30' tail.  In binoculars, it has a tail of
45'-60'.  In my 6" Dob, I resolved the dust and ion tails, along with
that interseting jet..dot it's really wonderful...the tail length in
telescope was 1d-3d.  My LM was between 3.5 and 4.2.  I tried to look
at Mars, but the Moon was in the way and Mars was only 10d over my
neighbors' roof.  BTW, I saw a mag 3 meteor while estimating Hale-
Bopp's magnitude, speed was 5.  It's path was roughly 10d-25d above
Hale-Bopp, heading SE.

Jonathan(NTZT04A@prodigy.com)
http://pages.prodigy.com/Astro/homepage.htm