[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Tax status of groups

At 05:27 PM 2/23/97 EST, Cathy Hall wrote:

>(don't know your U.S. rules on this, perhaps the  AMS already has that
status??)

Hi Cathy.  FYI:

* The American Meteor Society, Ltd. is incorporated as a Not-For-Profit
Corporation in the State of New York.

* Our affiliate group, Meteor Group Hawaii is also incorporated as a
non-profit corporation within the State of Hawaii.

The steps for aquiring this status will vary between states, but they will
all require obtaining legal services for becoming incorporated within your
state and receiving non-profit tax-exempt status from the Internal Revenue
Service.  The IRS is quite strict in scrutinizing non-profits and will
require financial statements and other reports each year in order to
maintain your tax-exempt status.

Since I am NOT a member of the AMS Board of Directors, I do not know much
more beyond this.  Jim B might have more experience dealing with the legal
requirements.

For more information about the structure of either the AMS or MGH, visit us at:

http://www.serve.com/meteors/

Take care,

Jim Richardson
AMS Radiometeor Project Coordinator