[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sender: owner-meteorobs

Rainer

Thanks for the input

>Tim Cooper wrote about parent objects:

>>Cygnids	          c Iras Araki Alcock
>You mean the kappa-Cygnids? This is new to me.

No, the beta Cygnids.  The reference is W Liller in his 'Cambridge Guide to
Astronomical Discovery' 1992, p40.  But I note the IMO does not list this
shower.  Maybe Gary Kronk can give his comments.

>>Pheonicids	  c Blancplain 1819 IV
>This association is a result of some irritation of citations in the past. It is
>simply wrong. The parent body is unknown. One used this comet to construct the
>orbital elements of the Phoenicids under te assumption they are associated. And
>later, astronomers were surprised that the orbital elements of Phoenicids and
>Blanplain coincide well...what a surprise!

This one is interesting, seeing that the reference is the IMO 'Handbook for
Visual Meteor Observations' !!!  I don't have the latest edition, so I don't
know whether it was corrected.

Thanks again for the comments

Tim