[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Solar filter

Hi all
While the thread of the solar filters was going on the thought ocurred to me
that through the binoculars at 15X with the solar filters attached, the sun
actually looked smaller than its flaming orb looks to the naked eye, without
magnification.   I wondered how big it would look through the filter only
and found that it looked quite small.   Much smaller than you would think
from seeing the blazing ball in the sky each day.   After a little
calculation I find that it's angular diameter is only 32 arc minutes.
Quite surprising!

Ron