[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Comet Hale-Bopp 3/2

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
 Expanded recipient data:
 To:   Penny Orell              \ PRODIGY:     (GYLK34B)
 To:   Theresa Fesperman        \ PRODIGY:     (EDUT95B)
 To:   Tom Hickcox              \ PRODIGY:     (JJLN99A)

I intended to just take a quick peek through binoculars but I was so
impressed I just had to uncover the 16" and take a peek. To the unaided
eye the comet is near magnitude +0.4, between the brightness of Altair
and Vega. It seems to be gaining 0.1 magnitude per day this week. An
easy 5 degree tail was visible without binoculars. The yellow color is
becoming evident to the naked eye.

Through binoculars (11X80's) the southern jet is easily seen and the
tail easily stretches the entire length of the 4.5 degree field. Through
the telescope I started at low magnifications (30X) and increased as I
went on. At 57X I began to notice irregularities in the plume of the
southern jet. At 91X it was clear that the western edge of the plume was
jagged due to dark arcs or gaps in the material. It reminded me of
diffraction rings seen at high power only these covered 90 degrees and
not a full 360 degrees. The eastern edge of the plume was smooth and
sharp.The southern jet was so intense it created the impression of a
false or secondary nucleus. These features were still sharp at 218X and
filled a majority of the field of view. It also seems that increased
magnification dulls the yellow color somewhat into a creamy off white
color.

Comet Hale-Bopp has developed nicely and I cannot wait until the moon is
out of the way to get a real good look without all the glare that is now
present.

Bob Lunsford