[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Comet Hale-Bopp Morning sky Mar.3,1997 @ 0845 UT

              Comet Hale-Bopp Morning sky Mar.3,1997 @ 0845 UT

Date: March 3, 1997

Time: 0830 to 0850 UT

Location: Roof dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Observer: Michael Boschat

Latitude: N 44d 39'

Longitude: W 63d 36'

Height above sea level: 58 meters

Limiting mag.: 5.0

Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst): 2 with middle cloud

Instrument: Tento ( USSR made ) 10x50 binoculars

Magnification:

Object(s): Comet Hale-Bopp

Biking to the University I saw Hale-Bopp with the naked-eye as a bright white
comet and a 3 degree tail pointing towards he middle of Cygnus. Upon arriving
I quickly got my binoculars and looked at the comet as clouds began to approach.
I was struck by the bright white color and in the 10x50 I could see a 5 degree
tail and with averted vision moving up beyond the brighter part another 2 degree
of tail.
The nucleus appeared like a "bar", roughly in an NNE-SSW position it was not a
point nucleus as with Hyakutake.

I took my glasses off and saw blobby stars and the comet, using that I put the
comet near Vega's magnitude 0.0. It was brighter than Deneb and Altair. It
may be close to Capella, but it was not seen.

It's fun to see the comet in the morning sky AND evening sky!

Clear skies

Michael Boschat ( Astronomer )    E-mail: andromed@atm.daldot ca
Atmospheric Sciences              Phone: (902) 494-7060
Dept. of Oceanography             FAX: (902) 494-2885
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CANADA, B3H 4J1          ASTRONOMY Web Page: http://www.atm.daldot ca/~andromed