[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-Bopp does not belong

>>>Hale-Bopp is truly a nice comet, but what on Earth are all
these comet postings doing here???
Is this a mailing list for meteors or for comets?

Trond<<<

Hi Trond,

( Please note: The following is friendly argument.)

I appreciate the comet reports.

For me, meteor studies are comet studies and Hale-Bopp is a stimulating
encounter with a comet on many levels. It is illustrating things like
meteoroid flux, comet tail spray, inner solar system winds and pressures,
and all sorts of things.  For example, is radar finding anything out about
Hale-Bopp's meteoroid particle sizes and composition? (I think so but I
haven't heard as yet.)

Actually, the main reason I got involved in meteor studies was from
studying panspermia theory and the possibility of microbes in comets and
the seeding of planets with life. I started my radio meteor studies to see
if there was any correlation between meteor rates and disease incidence.
Maybe this comet's ejecta will have some information here for my personal
meteor/exo-biology studies.

Anyway, I am grateful for the comet observations here on the meteorobs
list.

Clear skies,
Tom Ashcraft
Santa Fe, New Mexico