[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Xi Bootids?

George G.

I do now recall you posting something about seeing meteors coming from the
region of Xi Bootes. I meant to respond then, but this was prior to a couple
computer crashes that caused me to lose all my email messages for reference.
Anyhow, I believe you mentioned you weren't plotting. Too bad really. I just
want to point out that on past occasions it would seem to me that I was
seeing a bit of activity coming from a certain part of the sky. But later
upon reviewing my plots, I would not see any evidence to bring this out. I've
talked to Lunsford about this in the past. He too noticed how things can seem
different with plots of unknown radiant areas.  I know for sure that from the
possible Xi Draconid radiant that was kicked around last june, visually Bob
thought there was a radiant in Cygnus. But later his plots indicated the area
to look at was in Draco.

Prior going to work yesterday morning, I didn't have time to check my plots
from previous years. But this mornings checking showed that I observed on the
nights of Feb 7/8, 8/9 in 1992, Feb 9/10 in 1994 and on Feb 4/5, 5/6 in
1995....along with the two nights already mentioned on Feb 11/12 and 13/14
for 1997. These were the closest I have to the dates you indicated possible
activity. On these dates, there were no indication of an unknown radiant in
the vicinity of Xi Bootes. I probably plotted about 4 or 5 meteors that kinda
comes from that region for all the dates combined...and I have't looked at
the velocities or path lengths yet to reduce that even finer.  What I'm
getting at is that if you think you've found a radiant, you'd have more
substance to your claim if you had some plots to review. Otherwise I believe
you are finding what appears to be radiants that aren't there.
George Zay