[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Weird...

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Gary W. Kronk wrote:

> Cathy wrote:
> >And then I remembered something weird I'd read years ago, about the meteors
> >called the Cyrillids....  Anybody know anything about them...  I vaguely
> >seem to
> >recall that they were maybe 1930's or so, and people reporting them as bright
> >and 'parallel'....  ??
>
> I could be way off on this, so don't quote me here. If nobody else offers
> anything today, I could check my files tonight when I get home and post
> something more accurate. I think the Cyrillids were sort of a hypothetical
> stream that would represent the material moving in Earth's orbit.

 From what I remember they were found by a Canadian and called Chant's
Procession, they were seen from Canada down to Bermuda and recorded by
many observers'.
 They were real!

It was thought that they may have been pieces of a smaller Moon that had
orbited the Earth but got too close to the Roche Limit and
broke up.

Clear skies...
Michael Boschat ( Astronomer )    E-mail: andromed@atm.daldot ca
Atmospheric Sciences              Lab Phone: (902) 494-7060
Dept. of Oceanography             Fax: (902) 494-2885
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CANADA  B3H 4J1         My ASTRONOMY Web Page: http://www.atm.daldot ca/~andromed