[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Cyrillids

Mike or Gary,

Do these Cyrillids, or Chant's Procession, meteors bear any relationship to
the broad sporadic apex and antapex source regions? These were most recently
discussed by Jones & Brown (1996), but also go as far back as McKinley's
time (late 1950's).  I understand these better as to their effect on radio
systems, and don't know their visual effect.

This discussion has brought to mind one of my favorite classes of meteors,
what I used to call "slow grazers."  These would generally occur about 22 to
24 hrs local time, and would be very long, slow orange-red meteors
travelling roughly west to east.  My best occured over Barber's Point, Oahu,
Hawaii, in 1988.  It covered over 100 deg, variable magnitude, and finally
broke up into 4-5 discernable "pieces"  after a terminal flare.  It was not
a fireball, but it was one of the prettiest meteors in my visual observing
career.  In a few years of visual observing, I only recorded a handful of
this type of meteor, and no particular radiant or date range could be
associated with them.

I also recall a request being placed in S&T (about 1990?) asking for
participants for a watch for this type of meteor, but it seens like the
observation period was earlier in the evening than my "slow grazers."  Has
anyone else noted this kind of meteor?

Take care,

Jim Richardson
AMS Radiometeor Project Coordinator