[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-Bopp in evening!

I had been trying for several days to see the comet in the evening sky and
kept failing. Finally, at 6:40 p.m. local time on March 6th, I saw the
comet not only with binoculars, but with the naked eye towards the
northwest at an altitude of 7 degrees. I am located 30 miles east of St.
Louis, Missouri--just outside the booming town of Troy, Illinois. Deneb was
at a slightly lower altitude and a few degrees to the right, but it could
not be seen except with binoculars. Although a slight tail was indicated to
the naked eye, the binoculars showed 0.5 degree of tail, the dust tail,
which extended to the right and was parallel to the horizon, which looked
strange. The comet became easier to see as the sky continued to darken. I
last saw the comet with the naked eye at 7:10 p.m.

Gary W. Kronk