[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) that smudge of blue-white light; 3/9

Well folks,

I raced with the clouds Sunday morning to gaze upon, drink in, absorb,
 appreciate, wax poetically over, and be enthralled by comet Hale-
Bopp, shining over Ohio.

Imagine, if you will, early man, stepping into a clearing, feelin'
pretty darn good about this opposable thumb business, glancing up,
the night sky a silver wash, the dependable night-after-night
constellations dancing circles in the night........and a bright
brushstroke of light hangs motionless, suspended above the tree tops..
..............such a sight that must have been to the superstitious.
This is another wonderful, beautiful example of what nature offers to
those who take a moment or 2..........................

...........pardon the primal daydream, that is how my joy manifests...

The comet might have been ever so slightly fainter than Vega. Maybe.
A beautiful dust tail fanning out from the coma, filled up the field
of view in the spotting scope.........

My wife joined me to see it for the first time and was enthralled as
I.

I hope everyone is, if not sharing the comet with someone, than
certainly pesterin' everyone about it. I've managed to get into 2
newspapers with it, and will be on the radio on the 20th..............
.........pinch folks in the butt.

Not impressed, but fortunate,
Gregg
http://pages.prodigy.com/daddy

I am, btw, keeping a running log of everyone's observations, thoguhts,
 etc, as well as some photos at my web site. In the end it might make
a nice scrap book of remember when. Nothing technical or self-
involved, just sharin' folks' joy......