[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) West, eh?

George G. wrote:

>This comet is now better than Hyakutake.  In fact, I too agree with others that
this is almost better than West already.  I have seen 54 comets, including
Ikea-Seki.

Beg to differ ;)  I don't think it's quite there yet!  Hyakutake was great, and
I could see a 65 degree naked eye tail on it...  I think that Hale-Bopp will
have to really work at it to match West, which is the best comet I've seen.  It
was exquisite... got it for 11 mornings in a row from the west coast of
Vancouver Island, just me and the ocean and the comet, with Mount Baker off in
the distance.... Hyakutake was bright, and domineering, but not nearly so
lovely...

I have not seen as many comets as your 54, but have lost count of the number I
have seen.  I think my first was Heck-Sause... nope, just checked my copy of
Kronk, Bennett was first.   I do regret not having seen Ikeya-Seki....  but
<not> as much as I regret not seeing de Cheseaux.... ;)

>This comet will probably surpass them all if it continues the way it's going.
A splendid comet indeed!

Well, looks like southern Ontario may luck into a run of clear nights this week
(wow, dare I print it before it happens!), so I'm headed out of town tomorrow
with my refractor and camera gear for a darker site...

I also want to crank some deep sky objects...  I'm trying to finish off a list
of 110 non-Messier NGC and IC objects that our society up here has an observing
certificate for.  Got the Messier certificate a year ago, and have 35 objects on
the NGC/IC to go.... hardest so far in my 4.7" scope was IC 289, a mag 12.3
planetary.  Faintest object so far was a 13th mag planetary, but it was easier
to see.   I'm trying to teach myself deep sky with an eye to getting into some
comet hunting sometime soon....

So, you guys probably won't get me for meteors this week.... (running and
ducking!) .... but I will keep you posted....

- Cathy
  Great White North