[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) West, eh?

George G. wrote:

This comet is now better than Hyakutake.  In fact, I too agree with others that
this is almost better than West already.  I have seen 54 comets, including
Ikea-Seki.

At 11 Mar 97 12:35:53 EST Cathy Hall responded:

>Beg to differ ;)  I don't think it's quite there yet!  Hyakutake was great, and>I could see a 65 degree naked eye tail on it...  I think that Hale-Bopp will
>have to really work at it to match West, which is the best comet I've seen.  It
>was exquisite... got it for 11 mornings in a row from the west coast of
>Vancouver Island, just me and the ocean and the comet, with Mount Baker off in
>the distance.... Hyakutake was bright, and domineering, but not nearly so
>lovely...

Well Cathy, you are a good observer, and I believe you saw comet West better
than I did, as I saw it from the suburbs; not in such a pristine setting as
you did. So, I should have qualified my statement more. But in a few weeks Hale
Bopp will probably surpass every comet seen this century, including Ikea-Seki.

GWG