[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Xi-Bootids

        Hi, Robert:

    Thank you for your message. It s very kind of you.

> Alberto,

>Welcome to the meteor list! Most radiants are active on a time scale
>of
>days and weeks. To try to watch for any Xi Bootids at this time would
>almost certainly yield negative results. In addition the radiant
>would
>have moved at least 30 degrees eastward and is now situated far from
>Xi Bootes.

    This radiant don t appear in the Spanish Meteor Society list. Not
a long time ago some minor showers which existence could not be
surely confirmed were erased, so I had no data about it s derivation
for location.

    Unfortunately I have not got a car for going out for observation,
and I can only go to observe on weekends. The weekend before the one I
could observe we went out, too, but clouds were covering the sky.
We can only observe on weekends, and several of them we can t work at
all. So we can not make observations covering a lot of time (in
days). Only in holidays we can.

    I am likely to develop my films tonight, so if any meteor appears
I will ask for radiant location in order to associate meteors with
showers.

    By now I don t mind about negative results, but to try to obtain
any some day. I know the most of my efforts won t success, but it s
part of the work. Don t you think?

>Glad to hear you are a photographer. I would advise you to begin
>photographing only during major showers. Only experienced and
>dedicated
>people (such as George Zay) who don't mind spending a fortune on film
>photograph year round. Your results away from major shower activity
>will
>most certainly be negative. I do not mean to sound negative, but
>initial
>successes rather than rolls of empty film will keep you as an active
>photographer for a long time to come.

>Respectfully Yours,

>Robert Lunsford

>IMO/ALPO Coordinator

    I have been observing meteors for nearly four years, and almost
all time I made photographic work. I don t mean I don t need
suggestions. They are all welcome. I also try to cover major
showers, but it s also interesting trying to confirm minor ones.

    About the films I have not to worry too much, because I also
belong to an astronomical agrupation in my university, so we can
obtain money for it.

    I hope in not much time I will be able to say more about the
films. Until next message have a good time.

    Alberto