[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Ashcraft-Proposal

The Need for a Hypersensitive Radio Array for Multifaceted Meteoric
Phenomena Observations, Impact Detection, Ionospheric Studies and Near
Earth SETI Observations

It has become acutely apparent that there is a need for more exacting
meteor, fireball and impact observations. Each notable fireball event
points out gaping holes in the current observation network. This situation
could be remedied quickly, efficiently and inexpensively. I am proposing a
hypersensitive radio array that would function as a multifaceted research
instrument.

Using an elaboration of the radio method called "forward scatter" it is
possible to set up a single ground based radio array in the western United
States that would be ultrasensitive to all manner of meteors over the
entire western United States---literally from the Mississippi River to the
west coast and from northern to southern border.  This sounds ambitious but
I can readily prove it with data and specimens from two years of successful
experiment with my own prototypical array.

This proposed omnidirectional array would be self-correlating, operate
round the clock, be interference free, require low maintenance, and could
be built with inexpensive components.  It could detect all species of
meteoric phenomena- from fine dust particles to impactive bolides, be they
man-made, natural, or anomalous.  It could corroborate other sensor systems
such as radar and infrasonic. The array could even help calibrate satellite
sensors from space.

It would also have defense system utility with its broad band
ultra-sensitivity to small incoming objects. There may indeed be blind
spots in the nation's defense systems that an array like I am proposing
would rectify and illuminate.

This array would also have possible SETI applications. In the course of
earth's orbit around the sun the earth passes through little understood
regions of fine particle clouds. There may be qualitative aspects to this
meteoric dust such as electro-magnetic polarization and ionospheric effects
as the earth engages these clouds. It cannot be ruled out that there may be
an as yet undiscovered biological component within this dust. This has not
been studied in the way that I am proposing.

I am interested in pursuing this as a project and with funding I could have
an array up and running at a moment's notice with immediate results.

If there is any interest in my proposed detection system for scientific
research and defense study I would be happy to provide more details. I have
operated my own independent array for two years previous with proven
results and can supply references upon request.

Sincerely,

Thomas Ashcraft
72632.1427@compuserve.com         tel.  505-989-7208

Radio Fireball Observatory