[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sunspots March 12, 1997

>>>I have never viewed "SUN" spotsbefore. What would be the best way for
looking at "SUN" spots? I would be using 11X80 bino's.
Yucca Valley gazer,
David>>>

David,

First off, please know that it is *very dangerous* to point a magnifying
instrument such as binoculars at the sun. In a nanosecond the amplified sun
will scorch your eyes irrepairably.

Secondly, I reiterate the danger.

But it is possible to project an image of the sun through binoculars onto
white paper and depending on the power of your binoculars you can see
larger sunspots if your sky is clear.  **BUT**   I don't know what sort of
binoculars you have and please be aware that passing the sun through any
astronomical instrument may melt plastic parts or crack lenses.

It is precarious.

If you really want to see sunspots then you might look for advertisements
in Sky and Telescope magazine that sell  bona fide solar filters like
Thousand Oaks brand.

Also, you might want to check out solar websites on the internet like Big
Bear observatory (I think) which shows many images of the sun in different
wavelengths of light each day. This is a good way to tune into the sun.

I view the sun well with a Celestron 80 mm refractor that allows me to
project a solar image right through the telescope.  But you can't use just
any telescope to do this.

Anyway, please be very careful whatever you do.---Tom A