[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) [Fwd: meteorobs-digest V1 #400]

-- BEGIN included message

meteorobs-digest          Wednesday, 12 March 1997      Volume 01 : Number 400

From: Jim Bedient <wh6ef@pixi.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 21:14:09 -1000
Subject: (meteorobs) California Daylight Fireball

Got a report today of a daylight fireball seen in California --

date=Mar 8, 1997 (daytime)
time=3:15 PM Pacific Standard
Location=Ft. Bragg, CA, USA (in town) -- 39 36.8N, 123 48.3W
Brightness=-15? (brighter than the full moon, as seen during the day)
1st seen=NW, 25 deg. elevation
Last seen=N, 15 deg. elevation
Duration=less than 1 sec
Color=brilliant green
Train=Yes, 1/2 second
Train Color=cream
Train Remarks=quickly faded. trail was not constant, but in bursts
General Remarks=observed in bright daylight, very bright - very fast.
approx. 25 degrees above horizon.  first time I have seen a daylight bolide.
would like to know if others saw it - cannot find news reports of these
sighting.
approx. 25 degrees above horizon (start) to 15 degrees (finish)

If anyone hears anything about this one, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Jim Bedient
American Meteor Society
Honolulu, Hawaii