[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-Boppids redux...

I understand there was an article in WGN some time back examining the
chances of a meteor stream resulting from Hale-Bopp. I never managed to find
it, but I understood that the chances were next-to-none for any shower
activity from this comet. But a friend pointed out to me today that H-B will
cross the plane of Earth's orbit at a distance of 1.1 AU - in other words,
within 0.1 AU or so!

He said this was based on the latest JPL elements (which haven't changed
much in a while anyway). I wonder - is 5-15 million miles really too far
away for meteoroid dispersion to reach us by the time our orbit brings us
around to that area again (some time during January, my friend said).

If not, how many years are we likely to have to wait - theoretically
speaking - for the meteoroid stream from H-B to get Poynting-Robertson'd and
perturbed enough to actually intersect with our orbit?

A curious question for the Orbit-Wise,

Lew