[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Comet Hale-Bopp March 19/20

Date: March 19/20, 1997

Time: 2250 to 2330 UT

Location: 5th Floor apt, Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Observer: Michael Boschat

Latitude: N 44d 39'

Longitude: W 63d 36'

Height above sea level: 58 meters

Limiting mag.: 4.0

Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst): 1.5 - 2

Instrument: Tento ( USSR made ) 10x50 binoculars, 80mm refractor f/11

Magnification: 48x, 122x

Object(s): Comet Hale-Bopp

                         Description;

Hale-Bopp was see at 2245 UT with my 10x50's.

At 2255 UT I used my 80 mm refractor at powers of 48x  and 122x to observe
the  " arcs " in front of the white nucleus, which appeared stellar looking.

Since it was still twilight this cut down on the galre of the comet
nucleus and was helpful seeing this deatil.

I noticed 3 " arcs ", the first one ( 1 ) close to the nucleus was short
and bright, the second one ( 2 ) a bit away was a little larger and bright,
the third ( 3 ) was larger and fainter than the first 2. A curious thing,
the space between the 2nd and 3rd arcs' looked almost like a shadow ( # )
close to the 2nd arc. Similar to Saturn's shadow on the globe, where
there is a bright area and the shadow right with it.

                            Arc  Arc     Arc

N                            1    2S      3
  \                                       \               48x - 122x
E /                               \#        \             80mm refr.
                              \    \#        \
                              *\    \#       \
                              \    \#       \
                                  \#       \
                                          \

The # indicates where the "shadow" effect was located.

Note; I used a diagonal so the image should be flipped over with dust tail
      on left.

Estimate of comet magnitude I put it at about -1.5 magnitude.
Close to Mercury's in the evening sky.

Clear skies
Michael Boschat ( Astronomer )    E-mail: andromed@atm.daldot ca
Atmospheric Sciences              Phone: (902) 494-7060
Dept. of Oceanography             FAX: (902) 494-2885
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CANADA, B3H 4J1          ASTRONOMY Web Page: http://www.atm.daldot ca/~andromed