[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Photographic Meteor Rates (Reply)

George Zay wrote:
-----------------
>Hi Ed!
>The equipment you are referring to above doesn't sound like the typical
>equipment for one to easily find on the market.  I highly doubt the average
>joe is going to come up with a Baker Super Schmidt Meteor Camera at
>f/0.65....and if he did, I think you are going to hear some screeching brakes
>when he see's the price tag. You also mentioned the use of a Kodak Aero Ektar
>camera...not too many folks can get their hands upon an aircraft camera
>lately either. I think the average person...particularly the novice is going
>to start out with a 35mm....and probably stick with the 35mm....or perhaps go
>to the medium format at best. I think camera info for beginners would be more
>useful if given in terms of a 35mm camera.

Normal 35MM CAMERA's fall into the TYPE "B" catagory of Millman's
classification.  Aero cameras also fall into this catagory.  One often sees
surplus aero lenses for sale.  ie: F-2.5 - 178mm Kodak Aero Ektars.  I
mounted one in a box with a 4X5 cut film holder at it's focus and it works
great.  The shutter is just a metal flap that covers the lens when changing
plates.  Old press cameras fall into the TYPE "A" catagory.  Examples are
Crown Graphics or Speed Graphics with F-4.5 speed or similar lenses.  These
are available in the used camera markets.  By conventional, I mean normal
camera lenses.  Nothing special.  I know you won't find a Super Schmidt in
amateur hands.  I'm not even sure if professionals are using them.  I heard
a rumor that the ones used at Harvard were cut up for scrap!!  Can anyone
confirm this?  Back in the 1970's Gale A. Harvey at NASA/LRC used special
maksutov cameras to secure spectra of faint meteors.  Does anyone know what
happend to these cameras?

>Another useful book for meteor photography...particularly for beginners is
>the one by Juergen Rendtel for IMO entitled "Handbook for Photographic Meteor
>Observations". I think it will be a little more easier to acquire than the
>one's by Millman and others you have listed.
>George Zay

The books I mentioned should be in a good library.  I got mine in used book
stores a few years back.

Ed

Edward Majden                         epmajden@mars.ark.com
1491 Burgess Road                     Meteor Spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C.                       CCD's - P.E.P.
CANADA  V9N-5R8                       Amateur Astronomy