[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-Bopp has a Beard!

  I've been watching Hale-Bopp from our yard in downtown Greenbelt, Maryland
every clear night. Last night I noticed the bow shock feature in front of the
head with the naked-eye for the first time. Also, a beard like feature was seen
just under the head with 12x63 binoculars.

  Last wekend I saw a nice slow orange 2nd magnitude meteor cross the corner of
the field in the 12x63 binoculars as I watched the comet. It was interesting to
see a flare coming off the side of the meteor toward the comet as it crossed
the field going down to the NNW. This was something I had never seen before, as
well as a beard on a comet!

GWG