[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) 1997 Lyrid Meteor Shower

<<
 BTW, how narrowly defined have the Lyrid outbursts been that were observed
 in the past? Do the outburst peaks coincide with the "normal" maximum? If
 not, it might make sense for regular observers to watch on the nights
 preceding and following the maximum as well as at max, full moon
 notwithstanding!

------------
Lew,
I haven't found anything that indicated  the Lyrid outbursts that were
observed in the past didn't coincide with it's normal maximum of the time.
The Lyrids have a relatively short peak period.  I'm not a fan in doing a
full moon watch with a relatively slow shower like the Lyrids on any night
other than the expected peak nite.  If there is no real expectation for
anything on the other nights, I don't have any plans on being out there...I'm
glad to see that you seemed willing to stand the watch though just in case.
If you do...I highly recommend a lot of tea, coffee or whatever?...maybe even
bring a book to read...the rates shouldn't be too far off if you just glance
upwards once in awhile....and the moon should make it easy to read by.  But
If the skies were to be relatively moonless, I'd probably be out there on the
adjacent nites if able...but with no realistic Lyrid expectations.
George Zay