[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Driving over a crater!

Hi guys -

Just got my latest copy of NEO News in the mail today.  Neat stuff!  I just
found out that I've <driven> over an impact crater!!!

The newsletter has an article on two east coast craters detected beneath the
Atlantic - one beneath the lower part of Chesapeake Bay in Virginia, and the
other beneath the outer edge of the continental shelf off New Jersey.

In the mid-1980's, I drove along the U.S. east coast on my way back up from
Savannah, and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel.  I didn't know how <long>
this bridge was until I got to the toll booth - and I think they charged me $15
or so.  It was <long>..... I have never been on a bridge and out of sight of all
land before!  And then - the road disappeared into an underwater tunnel at the
main entrance to the Bay, in order to let ships pass through.  I watched a U.S.
submarine go over the tunnel that I was about to drive through....  It was soooo
neat!!!

And now I find out that I drove over an impact crater.... it's centered almost
directly beneath the town of Cape Charles.... and is about 53 miles in diameter,
and about 1 mile deep.  The article says it is the largest impact crater in the
United States, and the seventh largest in the world.

Wow!!

- Cathy
  Great White North