[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-bopp at last!

Hello everybody,

This was the first clear moonless night in The Netherlands since march
10.... It was very very clear, amonst others due to a very strong wind. We
observed HB from Biddinghuizen, accompanied by a TV crew of our Dutch
national TV broadcast. They filmed our preparations and observations for an
actuality program coming wednesday.

HB was splendid! some 20 deg, gastail, 15 degrees dusttail. Brightness in
the order of -0.3 or something like that. A DE like feature in the gastail
visible in 20x80 binoculars.

We filmed the comet with our video-image intensifier setup (the same setup
we use for videoing meteors), and it turned out to be a splendid sight with
this equipment (we filmed at least as much tail as we could see with the
naked eye). The TV-crew cameraman was quite disappointed that his deluxe
super high tech multidollar super professional high grade camera with very
expensive super mega objective could NOT film the comet. But we could, with
our home-made setup. (gna gnagna....!)

 Well, that's about the news we have. Filming with the TV-crew was fun, and
we are very delighted that we could finally see Hale-Bopp in full glory. It
really is a beautifull comet indeed. Hope you guys have been succesfull too.

-Marco (and the rest of team Delphinus, the Netherlands )

Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-30-2203170;  Fax: +31-30-2202695;  GSM: +31-6-54723974
E-mail1: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl;  E-mail2: casper.ter.kuile@rivmdot nl
WWW: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm