[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) 1997 Lyrid Meteor Shower

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> BTW, how narrowly defined have the Lyrid outbursts been that were
observed in
> the past? Do the outburst peaks coincide with the "normal" maximum? If
not, it
> might make sense for regular observers to watch on the nights
preceding and
> following the maximum as well as at max, full moon notwithstanding!

Lew,

From my experience the outbursts coincide with the normal maximum. I am
convinced a small outburst occurred in 1994, especially when you
consider I had two hours that year producing raw rates of 25 Lyrids each
. I have also heard of a 12 year periodicity ( in sync with Jupiter) for
this shower indicating that the year 2006 may also produce enhanced
rates.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Bob Lunsford