[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale/Bopp Mar 29...3 tails?

March 29, 1997

I just finished making 2 exposures of comet hale/bopp with fuji color 800. I
made a 27 minute and a 21 minute exposure. I had very difficult time seeing
the ion tail again tonight. I can only make it out with the binoculars...and
I get the impression that I'm seeing 2 ion tails..dot side by side....plus the
arcing dust tail. Thru the telescope while guiding with the 10"SCT, I could
see the concentric arcs around the nucleus. I estimate the comets magnitude
to be around -0.5. I won't know what I got on film until probably tuesday
morning when I will process what is on the roll. It sure is a real pain not
being able to find 24 exposure rolls of Fuji Color 800.  With a little luck,
I will be able to make two more exposures at least by then.
George Zay
Descanso, Calif.
32 North
116 West