[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: busy and alive

Norman McLeod wrote:

>Looking ahead to the Lyrids, I agree with the expectation of 5/hr with
>the full moon.  Compare that with 15/hr in dark sky.  The numbers
>are small, but they still indicate a correction factor in mid-single digit
>range rather than using r=2.5 and 2.5 ^ ( 6.5 - 4.0 ) = 2.5 ^ 2.5 = 10
>( a double-digit correction factor, using full moon LM of 4.0).  The
>usual overcorrection by roughly  factor 2 strikes again.

I fully agree that lm correction under such bad conditions like a full moon
becomes most uncertain. But I have to admit that I have never experienced 4.0
skies under full moon. My general difference to normal skies is 1mag. I have
about 6.2 under countryside skies, ~5.2 under full moon. The lm factor is 3.3
then, which sounds suitable compared to the above 5met/hr. Where does the
4.0-under-full-moon come from?

Rainer

Rainer Arlt -- Visual Commission Director
International Meteor Organization
100114.1361@compuserve.com
Home page of IMO: http://www.imodot net