[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The comet and spring peepers

Folks,

The comet has been a truly glorious and enthralling sight from
central Ohio. My wife and I have been watching it since the end of
January.  As it has drifted among the starry patterns we are so
familiar with, growing brighter, bolder and more spectacular, we have
found ourselves enjoying it on an ever-escalating scale. But nothing
may top last evening (4/1).

Attempting to photo it and its reflection on a pond, my wife and I
were engulfed by a wave of sheer nature, primal and undisturbed by,
well, us.

Standing beneath a canopy of stars, enthralled with the comet as it
hovered over a stand of pine trees, its hairy countenance mirrored in
the still water of the pond, the entire adventure was heightened by
the chorus of countless spring peepers singing their melody from the
reeds around the pond. It was glorious, touching something deep
within us, and made it easier to imagine the horror or reverence
primative peoples would have regarded such a celestial interloper.

..............then I grabbed my wife by her hair and dragged her off
to our cave.............(joke, folks).

I hope everyone spends a moment simply savoring the sight of this
spectacle, considering the steady constellations through which it
drifts, tunes in to the sounds of the night surrounding you and the
comet Hale-Bopp for this, and all of nature, is an unguent for a
bruised and battered species......................................

Can you tell I was moved?
Gregg Pasterick
Kilbourne, Ohio
http://pages.prodigy.com/daddy