[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) unknown meteor radiant in the South Hemisphere

This message was posted on the astro mailing list
and I get the agreement of the author to share it with the meteorobs one

----------
tpcooper@ilink.nis.za
> [...]
> The bungalow is completed and the next stage is the fitting out of the
> observatory.
> BTW, last thursday we hit the jackpot. We bought 35 X 1.8 deg 5V stepper
> motors, copier mirrors, lenses etc, etc for a mere 400 Rand!!!!
> The gods are smiling upon us!!!!!!!
> Now to business.
> This is in particular to meteor observers in both hemispheres.
> On thursday night I noticed some very bright, very fast meteor
> emminating from somewhere near the celestial south pole.
> As it was slightly clouded, it was not really woth observing.
> Friday night was a totally difrent kettle of fish.
> I started observing at 20:30 SAST.(hour ahead of GMT)
> The total meteors observed were:
> 1) Short burst covering 1.5 degrees. From Musca to the Southern Cross.
> Mag. 3 (20:35) white
> 2) Sporadic from Vela to Carina. Mag.4(20:42) yellowish
> 3) A bright, very fast 1.5 sec, Starting in Musca ending half way to
> Regulus.Straight in line. (+- 10 deg.) left ion tail lasting 3 sec.
> Mag. 0. (20:45) white
> 4)B,vfast, again from Musca, in the direction of Achenar. Lasting 2
> seconds and ion tail for 2-3 seconds. Mag.1 (20:55)
> 5.6.7.8!!!!!!!!!
> These came in within seconds. (21:05)
> No's 5&8 (about .5 sec apart)
> Very bright, -2 Mag , 5 from Musca area, throug SMC and disappeared
> behind mountain. Ion tail. white.
> 8,through LMC due west.
> Both lasted for about 2.5 sec.
> 6&7 were about 2 seconds apart. Musca area to the South. 6 disappeared
> behind mountain and was 3 Mag.
> 7 From Musca area, moved east through Centaurus and ended in Corvus.
> About 2 sec with ion tail lasting 2-3 sec. Mag. -2
> 9) sporadic from the North somewhere to inbetween the Magellanic clouds.
> (Octans. Was looking South ) 21:08
> 10) A very faint Mag 6 from Musca area about .5 sec heading due North.
> About 1 deg. 21:15
> Saturday night I had the severe mutters!!!!! As we are open to the
> public, I had to do the show and could not do meteors, but let me ashure
> you, there were plenty OOOHHHHS and AAAHHH's. Grrrrrrrr.
> Sunday night, we were badly clouded out over the mountains with clouds
> coming in off the sea.
> That was a bummer.
> I have looked for a shower originating from the Musca area, but no find.
> Tim , could you please let me know.
> There are two small sunspot areas on the sun. Today as I left, I had a
> quick look and spotted some really small ones starting in the center
> area betweeen the two spot areas.
> Keep well and I wil be going sleepy now. |-] zzzzzzzz....
> Cheers to all
>
> --
> Bill Hollenbach     	Cederberg Observatory ah52@solo.pipex.co.za
> http://aztec.co.za/exinet/travel/misc/cederobs.html
> http://www.cs.uct.ac.za/~iwebb/obs/
> Lat: 32:30.11' (S) 	Long: 19:15.20' (E)   GPS POSITION

George (Zay) and I already replied that we were not aware of any radiant
active during this period around that position

and George added

>Did you plot these onto gnominic star charts?  From you
>descriptions, I sense that meteors #3 and #4 aren't from a possible
radiant
>in Musca as you hinted. They seem too long and too fast to be associated
>with a radiant nearby.

any other comments about these observations ???

I did not planned any meteor obervation this week due to
heavy work but I will try to on Friday after the monthly astro party of our
society. It may be too late for this wannabe radiant but just in case ...

Jean-Christophe (22S, 166E)