[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Developing Astrophotos

The best place to develop astrophotos (comet, meteor, whatever) is at
home, but only if you develop often enough to be confident of your
quality control.

That said, the next best thing is a mom & pop place where you can get
to know the owner/technician.  You pay more than walmart, but you know
that when you tell them "These are star-pictures", they'll be careful
when cutting the negatives/slides, and produce prints that are mostly
black instead of overall gray.  This happens because you are not
talking to the flunky behind the counter, but to the owner who has a
stake in the busness, and also the technician who will do the work.

I got to know my favorite place while doing a monthly newsletter that
included pictures, and I was developing multiple rolls each month.  I
still try to take a roll of film there every month or two, just to say
"Hi".  It's worth the extra cost, 'cause when I need something
special, like astrophotos, I know they'll do it right.

Third, find out where professionals in your area take their film.
This is more expensive than the above option, but they know how to
follow directions.  On the downside, you may have to learn their
lingo.

Only my opinion.

PS  As Lew mentioned earlier, good HB photos on http://comet.hq.nasadot gov/

Gregg Lobdell                             Voice: 206-234-0884
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group            Fax: 206-234-5775
Seattle, WA, USA                       InterNet: gml@atadot ca.boeing.com