[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) How to find a good 1 hr lab

The following article is NOT mine.  It appeared in APML in response to a
question there.  Please note that every response there emphasized the
importance of establishing a relationship with the person doing your
processing and to ask for his services.  (There should be no extra
charge).  It has been the general experience that the younger operators
are more entusiastic and more likely to accomodate you.  Also suggested
was showing him prints where the operator was very successful and
leaving him a copy.

The APML text follows:

Re: [APML]: Color Prints (How do you get photos developed/printed
correctly)?
Frank J. Sperl (astro@magicnetdot net)
Wed, 07 Aug 1996 23:35:13 -0400

Here is a reply I sent to Brad Barton just the other day regarding
One-Hour
Processing.  Hopefully it will answer many of your questions.  Maybe one
of these days
I'll do something like a FAQ re: One-Hour Labs. If you have any specific
questions don't hesitate to ask.

In regards to color balance that was mentioned in a reply to you; it
does
matter.   In fact it matters to the point that the latest One-Hour
machines from Gretag Imaging will instruct the operator to repeat the
printer test untill the machine is within acceptable limits.  If the
take a look at them.

	Clear Skies and Cool Nights
		Frank

My opinions in no way represent the opinions of my employer, they
haven't in the past,
they don't now, and I doubt that they will in the future.

Senior Imaging Tech. State of Florida
Qualex - OSP (On Site Processing)
Div. of Eastman Kodak
Proud Sponsers of the Olympic Games

                        ONE HOUR PHOTO LAB HINTS AND TIPS

  Although I maintain machines primarily manufactured by Gretag Imaging,
the following
should apply to most labs. I am by no means an "expert" and offer my
input for its worth and consideration by anyone seeking the best Quality
prints. With that said, here goes.

        There are Questions that you can ask to determine if the
operator is
proffiecentsp in the operation of their lab, and if they are using
Quality materials.

1. Is your lab operating with any actions or controls in regards to your
chemistry?   ( Most labs are required to check chemistry of the machine
using control
strips and comparing the strips using spectral photometry to established