[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) hello

to Wayne Hally
Thank you very much for your reply:
But now my question is about the orbit of the comet.
But I found the answer in my cache:

<b>If the comet last visited us 4300 years ago why is the next visit only
2300 years from now?</b> On its
journey towards perihelion Comet Hale-Bopp passed within the gravitational
influence of Jupiter. This
changed the orbit of the comet and, thereby, the length of time until the
next rendevous with our Sun.<p>

>Holly wrote:I live by a creek in the damp foggy rainy Pacific northwest.
>Meteor viewing
>is very chancy.
>
>Hally replied: That can be an awful location, though lately New Jersey
>hasn't been much better!
>
>Holly asked:
>I want to know from some knowledgable
>meteor observers and astromoners  IF Hale-Bopp is predicted to cause a
>meteor shower and when.  I am not mathematical enough to calculate orbits
>and intersects and stuff in space.
>
>Hally replied: Apparantly the distance between the two orbits is never less
>than 0.1 AU, and it is not going to cause a meteor shower on earth for at
>least many orbits....with the current orbit of over 200 years, it's not
>likely that any of us would ever see it :->
>
>Holly again:
>If it makes a meteor shower would it be named for the comet or a back
>ground
>constelation.
>Hally again: It would be named for the constellation from which the meteors
>appear to originate from. For example, Halley's comet produces two showers,
>May's eta- Aquarids, and October's Orionids, each named for the radiant
>position. In the scientific literature, the two showers together are
>sometimes referred to as the Halleyids, but that is not used for a
>description of the visible showers.
>
>I always wanted to marry a girl named Holly...could you imagine..........
>Holly Hally!
>	Stay dry out there!
>
>Wayne Tv Hally

An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while the
pessimist sees only the red stop light.... but the truly wise person is
color-blind.
       Albert Schweitzer
   *"Green lights" will begin many more advertures.  Paint your stumbling
blocks green!

(from "I AM TO YOUNG TO BE THIS OLD" daily calendar