[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Solar Flare

Hi All
I have just got on my computer to make a report about the NASA announcement
about the solar flare, but I see Cathy beat me to it.   I can add something,
however.    On CNN they showed some live NASA footage of the flare, which
NASA rated as very large.   They say the magnetic wave will reach Earth
approximately 8:00pm, eastern daylight time today.   They expect
communications equipment to be affected.

I took my binos (WITH SOLAR FILTERS) outside to see if I could see any
evidence of sunspots.   Sure enough, there was a pair of them at about 12
oclock, about 2/3 rds of the way out from the center of the Sun. They looked
like a binary star system on a negative, with one being small and the other
tiny (only just visible through my 15 x 80's).

Ron