[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ARCHIVE RESEND Re: (meteorobs) meteor impacts

At 03:46 PM 4/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Ron P Hunter   read about the meteor impact on my hompage!
> http://www4.ncsudot edu/unity/users/r/rphunter/www/index.html
>E mail - rphunter@eos.ncsudot edu

Ron, the first suggestion I have is to use a spell-checker - either when you edit text for inclusion in the site, or from within your Web-page authoring software. Second, be careful with terms - for instance as frequently discussed here, a "meteor" is just a light phenomenon in our atmosphere. A "meteorite" is the actual object itself if it reaches earth's surface intact.

Also, you might want to give references to more scientific details about the realistic *probability* of a large object impact on earth in the near future, and also about what's currently known and theorized about the frequency of such impacts in earth's geologic past... Also, some references to or summaries of the current programs to detect Near-Earth Objects, and what plans have been proposed with to avert impacts from these, might be interesting counterpoints to your own point of view.

Last but not least, Ron, I'd suggest it serves no one - not scientists, not the public, and certainly not God - to spread misinformation about Comet Hale Bopp and its effects on the Earth! After the events of the last couple of weeks, I'd say you may want to reconsider these parts of your page.

Just my $0.02,
Lew Gramer
Medford, MA, USA