[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: full moon and LM

LUNRO.IMO.USA@prodigy.com (MR ROBERT D LUNSFORD):
>> What an interesting situation you have presented. Its hard to imagine
>> the full moon rising in the south and just skimming the horizon.
There are more funny aspects to this. If you live exactly at the
arctic circle, there is one moment each day when the southern
(Sagittarius) part of the ecliptic hovers the southern horizon,
while the northern (Gemini) part touches the northern horizon.
Then you have the vernal equinox in the east and autumn equinox
in the west. In other words, you can see the entire ecliptic at
the same time!

In general, the ecliptic forms a moderate (53 degrees) to shallow
(7) angle with the horizon (from latitude 60). So Mercury is ususally
only visible for about two weeks each spring and fall, perhaps also
in the winter. Last weekend I saw the zodiacal light, for the first
time in my 18-year career.

A little off-topic (from meteors) here, hope I didn't offend anyone :-)

All the best,
Trond