[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Arcturus occultation

Stepped outside last night at 9:40 to check Hale-Bopp.  Just about had
a coronary when I saw a bright flash on the dark side of the moon.
After some work with the star chart and a close reading of April's S&T
I discovered that I had seen the final stages of the occultation of
Arcturus by the moon, and not a TLP, or a head-on meteor.  From my
vantage point, the star blinked as the moon passed in front of it.
Must have been a mountain peak.

It's funny that I stepped outside to look at the biggest story of the
year, Hale-Bopp, and I also saw what would have been the biggest story
of the month, if it hadn't been for HB.  As it was, the occultation
got only one paragraph in the middle of S&T, although it did get
mentioned afterward on the 11 o'clock news.

Has anyone looked at HB in the morning?  What's it's elevation
compared to the evening?  Higher, lower, or the same?

Gregg Lobdell                             Voice: 206-234-0884
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group            Fax: 206-234-5775
Seattle, WA, USA                       InterNet: gml@atadot ca.boeing.com

Follow-Ups: References: