[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) ATTENTION:COMET DISCOVERY

************************
POSSIBLE COMET DISCOVERY
************************
On last Thursday night, I sighted a comet, possibly new, but
unusually bright, but not a galaxy or nebula.  I believe to have
detected movement, but I am not certain.  I *need* your help to find
out if this is a comet or not.  Please don't be angry if it's only a
star; the "thing" was obstructed at times by trees(so my coordinates
will be off a little) and was about 20d off the S horizon.  I just
started comet hunting on April 2, 1997: I have compiled less than 3.0
hours, and I'm only 15 years of age.  Please help me. It is predicted
to be cloudy for the next three days, at least.  I must remind you
that my coordinates aren't that accurate.  Please scan within 20d of
my listed coordinates.   My observing log follows.
4/(10-11)/1997(GMT)    0115-0210.

0133-"COMET" DISCOVERED. Coordinates:09hours, 25minutes;-15d.
Magnitude:+6 to +9(The comet was <1' of 3 other stars.).  Tail:1'-5'
long, pointing SE.

0210-Plotted comet again. Moved(not sure)1'-3' E in 37 minutes(0.62
hours).

Below is a "drawing" of my eyepiece view.
               ()-tail;3' long approx.
                 *-could be split into 4 points of light

                          *-8th magnitude star
                            *-The same 8th-magnitude star at 0210.
Thank you for reading this observing report.  If you can give me some
positions of the comet, or can tell me what you think I saw, please
inform me at once at NTZT04A@prodigy.com