[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) meteorobs-digest V1 #429

>>>...What is the story on this solar flare anyhow and did anyone on the
list
catch either of the auroras and if so what time did they occur?...<<<

Chris and everyone,

I have a question myself.   What effect does strong geo-magnetic storming
have on meteor observing given that the earth responds to solar storms by
extending its ionosphere?  Doesn't the ionosphere extend to shield against
solar storming?
Also as I understand it the outer edge of the ionosphere at solar minimum
is about 80 kms out but during solar maximum the outer edge is 140 kms or
so out.
Wouldn't this sky expansion mean that more meteors are intercepted or is
this all negligible?

And regarding the April 7 coronal magnetic ejection: I believe there were
some periods of "severe geo-magnetic storming" as reported on the WWV
broadcasts but I haven't heard the extent. I had heard that aurora might
extend down to 35 degree latitudes but it's been cloudy at my 35 degree
location.

Excellent solar/geo info is at www.sec.noaadot gov   ---Tom Ashcraft