[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-Bopp Observations

  I reported my observations of comet Hale-Bopp seen from the dark skies of
Marshall, Virginia here last Monday. My reported estimate of the nuclear con-
densation as 0 magnitude was incorrect. Actually, that was the brightness of
the head, which included the coma, the nuclear condensation as actually near
1st magnitude. All the other observations were correct.

  It was clear in Greenbelt, Maryland both Friday and Sunday evening, April
11th and 13th. The most notible changes noticed was the color change of the
nuclear condensation, from slightly blue-green to slightly yellow-green in the
12x63 Optolyth binoculars on a tripod, and the tail color being a slight yellow
-orange color and more strongly curved on Sunday evening to the naked-eye.
Also, the bow shock feature was brigtest on the left, or SW side of the head
which is the opposite of what it was in February and March. This was noticed
with the naked-eye as well as in the 12x63 binoculars on a tripod. Even with
the Moon the comet is an easy naked-eye object.

GWG