[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-Bopp in New-caledonia

I saw it !!! And 5 other folks with me !!! That make 7 observers in New
Caledonia. (my father saw it last Sunday)

This number will pass over 1000 as we will hold a public star party on May
9th.

Report : observation from Ouen Toro, a small hill in Noumea (altitude 120
meters, 22d19mS, 166d27mE).
Here is a log of what I saw. Time is in local time (UT +11)

17:41 Sunset on the Coral Sea. A wonderful view even if it may be the
1000th I see.
17:50 Sirius located naked eye.
17:53 Canopus located naked eye.
18:00 Beginning of the comet search.
18:10 Found the comet, 29 minutes after sunset, with 7x50 Pentax
binoculars. Sure it is the comet. Looks fuzzy compared to other stars.
Comet was 5d49m above the horizon
18:15 Comet glanced naked eye.
18:17 Comet seen naked eyes by all (3) observers.
18:20 to 18:30 Comet hidden by a few small clouds
18:40 Comet last seen by all (6) observers.
18:42 Comet last seen in binoculars (altitude 0d36m)

I will try to make a mag estimate tomorrow.
The show is not over.

Jean-Christophe (22S, 166E) Noumea, New Caledonia
No more jealous of North Hemisphere Observers